Thursday, October 16, 2008

truth is stranger than fiction


Chow Kit market #1, originally uploaded by gastronomicdiary.

I often find the local newspapers for Kuala Lumpur to be pretty hilarious, mostly because you'd never find this kind of reporting in the States. They are all basically controlled by the government and still manage to sound like tabloids most of the time. But this particular piece was too priceless not to share...it had me laughing/grimacing in several places. Just so you know, the area they are talking about, Chow Kit, is the red light district of KL, but also an extremely popular area for outdoor markets. The tourism industry relies heavily on the a night market and a farmer's market held there regularly.
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/10/16/nation/20081016172233&sec=nation
Michael waited in the car once in that area while I went into a baking shop (Bake With Yen-- I love it because I can get almost any baking necessity at wholesale prices) and a transvestite (NOT a pretty one) was eyeing him from a doorway the whole time. He was extremely relieved when I got back. Needless to say, I don't go there alone.

1 comment:

  1. That is hilarious. I've actually never been there. Apparently there are 'hen houses' at the Pudu Market also. Veggies and prostitutes, all in one trip! How convenient!

    ReplyDelete

readers