Thursday, August 27, 2009

stranger things



Most surreal night ever. We had our friends over tonight to play games after our kids went to bed. They are expecting their first child and are excited and of course there was baby talk about my deliveries, how things are going with her pregnancy (her due date is in about 2 weeks), and the nature of parenting. We had hardly started our game when the mother-to-be excused herself to the restroom (job hazard of being pregnant--needing to pee every 40 minutes or so). She poked her head out a minute later and announced to the unassuming crowd in the room that her water had just broken. Seriously. There was about 3 seconds of tomb-like, unbelieving silence, then Michael & I started clapping, saying congratulations and hurrying the deer-in-the-headlights expecting parents out the door and on the way to the hospital. (By the way, I hope you enjoy the waterfall image to tie in with the story. You're welcome.)

Honestly, I think it's the coolest thing ever that it happened at my house and now we can be a part of someone else's birth story. That was a few hours ago so I'm going to call them before hitting the sack and see what the progress is. How crazy that one minute you can think you're settling in for a nice night of game-playing and suddenly you have a new baby to take care of and your life is changed forever. I think I will go hug my kids now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

readers