Monday, January 26, 2009

THE BEST JOB IN THE WORLD!!!

If you haven't already heard about this amazing publicity stunt by Tourism Queensland, you can check out the website HERE. They have created a new position as Island Caretaker for the Islands of the Great Barrier Reef, which basically turns into a PR job as the lucky employee will be sent around the various islands while they blog about the whole experience. So they have essentially turned this job application into a global contest as people around the world upload videos explaining why they should have this job. Brilliant marketing. Brilliant. Their site has crashed at least once (when the press release was first announced) because of the major traffic it created. You can watch the latest applicants' videos, see pictures of the islands (particularly Hamilton Island where the "office" is located...and by office I mean 3-bedroom, rent-free home with a pool). It's only a 6 month position but it pays $150,000 Aus. dollars and involves a lot of writing, picture-taking, some occasional videos and a few moments with the press. Seriously, someone would PAY ME to do this job? Obviously there are a lot of people in the world who really do think this is "the best job in the world" (I think so far they've had around 10,000 videos sent in) and I happily agree with them. And you better believe I am applying. I'm taking advantage of the fact that my husband works for himself from home and we can be fairly mobile. He can still work, I can blog...basically sounds like our set-up right now, to be honest. With the amount of publicity they're getting it's turning into something akin to winning the lottery, but this doesn't cost me a dime so I'm happy to give them my video, shamelessly self-promote on my blog and Facebook page, and cross my fingers.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck! I think I am going to mention this one to Matt. I think I could do that for 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! When will you find out? I will keep my fingers crossed for you. And maybe come visit you if you get the job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps, have you ever seen this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWUrj22pRD0

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome vidy mate! Here's a cool rockin' video I put together.
    http://www.islandreefjob.com/#/applicants/watch/kQzXTMfDLpA

    ReplyDelete

readers