Friday, April 25, 2008

speaking of flour...

My last post about the flour-debacle with John the other night reminded me of a traumatic experience I had here, strangely enough, also involving flour. And bugs. You see where I'm going with this? My wonderful friend Anne introduced me to a great store called Bake With Yen, a wholesale baking store here that sells bakeware as well as baking products (5 pounds of hazelnuts, a bucket of shortening, etc.) and we frequent it when in need of cheese or breadcrumbs or whatever. So a few months ago I bought several bags of flour in a brand I can't remember but I'm sure it has something to do with Anchor-something-or-other because there is a large anchor on the front. Right.

Anyway, I was making cookies one night and innocuously opened a new bag of flour, dumping it into the plastic container where I store the flour. I casually dipped my plastic yellow 1-cup measurer into said flour and unceremoniously dumped it into the cookie mix. Without warning, a torpedo-sized insect LEAPT up out of the flour I HAD JUST DUMPED INTO MY BOWL and streaked across the room in an attempt to sever my head from my body. OK, not really, it was just a moth and it flew the other direction and landed terrified on the wall, but try telling that to Michael who was convinced from my scream that I was being attacked by an axe. He was not amused, by the way. Still, a moth. A LIVE moth sitting in a plastic bag of flour for who knows how long on a store shelf, waiting for me to buy it and bring it home so it could wreak its revenge on mankind. John thoroughly enjoyed the whole process, helping immensely by jumping around like popcorn, shouting "BUG! BUG! BUG!" until Michael trapped it in a cup and dumped it out the window.

SO...a word to the wise. If you find yourself living in Southeast Asia anytime soon, NEVER under ANY circumstances should you buy flour that has an anchor on the front! Unless of course they decide to change their logo, in which case I cannot help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

readers